Sunday, March 8, 2009

Remembering Daniel

I really am not comfortable posting photos of myself, as I am always very critical of myself.  Geoff took this photo of me before we left for the 5th Annual Daniel Morcombe dinner.  
My friend Donna had dropped this dress, and two others, off at the last minute on Friday night.  I am really glad she did, because I felt really comfortable wearing this dress, it is just beautiful.  I love the colour.  I was a little concerned about wearing green to the dinner as it has a red tie theme.  I couldn't remember from previous years what the etiquette was, but I thought the dress code was quite varied.
My stomach sank a little when I walked into the foyer and there was a sea of red and black.  Kept my chin up though and didn't worry about it.
This is the third ball that Geoff and I have been to.  We missed going in 2007 as E was only 2 weeks old and there was no way I felt like squeezing into a frock then and having a night out.  I think we may have missed the first one.
The highlight of the ball for me is The Band of Blue, they are just fantastic.  I suggested to Peter Boyce that they should put together a CD and have it available for sale on the night, I think they would make money out of that.  They are a band made up entirely of Police Officers and they are just brilliant.  Darrell Braithwaite was also part of the entertainment this year, but the Bank of Blue ran rings around him.
Jamie Dunn was the MC again and he is always a laugh.  Our friend Justin Veivers was the auctioneer and did a brilliant job.
Numbers were down this year and I would imagine the fundraising down as well.  With the economy the way it is people just don't have the dollars to give.  The auction items were fantastic.  There was a guitar signed by all members of Pink Floyd, also a violin signed by Andrew Rieu.
For the first time it was at the Caloundra RSL Function room rather than Twin Waters.  I think there was a better atmosphere at Caloundra.  I think the food was better at Twin Waters.
Geoff and I were one of the last to leave, around 1am.  Thank you to Justin and Jodie for giving us a lift home.
The Daniel Morcombe Foundation does amazing work, not only in their quest to find the answers to Daniel's disappearance, but the ongoing work they do to education children on safety, providing support for child victims, and so much more.  We watched a short dvd of the work that they are doing and where the money assists their cause.
We watched a short montage as a tribute to Daniel, and it was very  hard not to shed a tear.
Denise by the end of the night was in quite a state and had far too much to drink.  Thankfully for her she had plenty of support around her to guide her in the right direction.  I look at her and wonder how it is she doesn't get herself into that state every day.  I can't imagine the pain and hell she lives every day wondering where her son is and what happened to him.
I pray that one day she gets the closure she needs to start some kind of healing process. 
My children all had a wonderful weekend with their Nan.  They love her to bits.  Two of my boys are not well this evening though with high temps and one already woke to have a vomit.  Not sure what kind of night I am in for tonight, when I really would love to catch up on some sleep.
Our house was very quiet this morning when we woke and it was very nice and relaxing.  I was also really pleased to go to Mum's and hear about their weekend.  I appreciate them more when I have had a little time away, and I hope they feel the same way.
My first born celebrates his 8th birthday tomorrow, I can't believe it.  8 years has passed by in the blink of an eye.
He wants me to make him a pavlova shaped like a ghost.  I have no idea how I am going to pull that one off.  Particularly if I have sick children at home.  We will have to see what the morning brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and read my posts. I love reading your comments.